Photo courtesy of the International Eucharistic Congress, June 2020
|August 2020, Covid-19 update:
Thanks be to God for churches that were able to remain open or have reopened! Exposition is encouraged. Parishes still have 24-hour or extended adoration in small chapels, though some have had to set a capacity limit for the number of adorers at one time. Become a scheduled adorer to reserve your place! When needed, adoration may be moved from smaller chapels to the main body of the church.
To schedule adorers, we offer an online adoration sign-up form for parish websites (or on our website if they prefer) especially helpful if legislation does not allow for the traditional method of handing out and completing Invitations with pencils during Mass. People are instructed to sign-up by filling out the form, texting, at a sign-up table outside the church, with Mass reservations etc. It could be noted that they can call a telephone number. Paper Invitations and pencils are very effective, so if they still allowed they are used.
Below are previous updates:
Any of the information that is outdated has been retained for the historical record. The impact and response has varied by province/state, diocese and parish.
PARKING LOT ADORATION
Some parishes started parking lot adoration by placing their Monstrance in a window with a scheduled adorer outside in their car in the church parking lot and social distancing. Where possible, other parishes increased exposition hours in, or moved adoration to, the large main body of the church, instead of their small chapel. Increase exposition where possible!
All for Jesus through Mary – Ad Jesum per Mariam!
At Fatima, Our Lady requested, “Pray the Rosary every day in honour of Our Lady of the Rosary to obtain peace in the world, and the end of the war, because only she can obtain it.” If you do not already do so, you are encouraged to recite the Holy Rosary every day as Our Lady requested!
As the month of May is dedicated to Our Lady, on Friday, May 1, 2020 (the Feast of St. Joseph, the Worker), each bishop in Canada and the United States reconsecrated their diocese individually to the Blessed Virgin Mary, to seek her protection for all the faithful, from the continuing Covid-19 pandemic.
We encourage all families, individuals, priests, deacons, and members of communities of consecrated life, to join their prayers in union with that of their bishop in making or renewing your consecrations to Mary and in consecrating Canada and the United States to Mary, Mother of the Church.
Canadian Bishops Consecration to Mary prayer (on page 4) and their full Ritual
US Bishops Consecration to Mary Prayer and Ritual
The Consecration prayer may be said at any time by the faithful.
MAKE A DAILY OR WEEKLY HOLY HOUR FROM WHEREVER YOU ARE NOW!
Continual prayer of the Rosary and Adoration before the Blessed Sacrament is needed to wrap our world, nations, dioceses, communities, and families within the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Heart of Mary – praying for God to unleash His Divine Mercy upon us especially in these times of chastisement and to usher in the reign of the Eucharistic Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
Livestreaming round the clock online Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration for shut-ins and quarantines:
- The Conversion of the USA (and Canada) through the Eucharist
- Do Rosary walks (go out for a walk and pray the rosary) for healing of ourselves, our country and our world
- US president announces houses of worship “essential services” amid pandemic – prevention measure against economic collapse – “we need more prayer, not less”
- Storm Heaven by praying the rosary coast to coast, especially from October 7-13
Two of our recently added webpages:
Eucharistic, Prayer & Spiritual Resources
“Using natural means to defend against pestilence,
we do not forget our primary means of defense:
prayer, especially the rosary and Eucharistic adoration.”
Cardinal Raymond Burke, March 17, 2020
Other messages by His Eminence can be found on his personal website here:
“Christ always brings a greater good from the sufferings that He permits… we are grateful in advance for all of the gifts that He has stored up for us, that He desires to pour upon us, that He desires to empty into our hearts in this time of suffering and trial… He remains distant from us for a while only so that our desire will build.. when the thing that you desire is eventually given back to you, you will cling to it more dearly and you won’t let it go. So if that is Christ present in the Blessed Sacrament, then hopefully the fruit of this trial will be that when we are allowed to encounter Christ in the Blessed Sacrament again and to receive Jesus in Holy Communion again, it will be done with an intensity of love, an intensity of adoration for Christ in the Blessed Sacrament and that we will commit ourselves to being with Him more regularly and more often, so that we never take for granted again the fact that Christ is so near and so available when He is with us in the Blessed Sacrament.” – Fr. Barry Braum, Missionary of the Most Holy Eucharist, March 29, 2020
In response to the serious pandemics:
- For parishes where it has been or is permissible to stay open or that are reopening, (even though they may have had or need to limit the number of attendees at or cancel Sunday or all Masses), sign-ups to start or increase exposition of the Blessed Sacrament. Adoration with social distancing can take place or be moved to the main body of the church. Adorers could sanitize their pew with an anti-viral wipe before taking their place. See your local health policy.
- Pastors/parishes can be added to our advance booking list for Eucharistic adoration sign-up weekend for a time when the situation improves in their area. When it is becoming permissible again, we will confirm the date.
The Word was made flesh and dwells amongst us (John 1:14). May Our Lady intercede for and protect you, your parishes and loved ones. In times like these prayer and adoration are more important than ever. Know that you are infinitely loved and supported by Our Lord Jesus.
Below are more resources to help in these difficult times and prepare for the Eucharistic Reign of Christ the King and Triumph of the Immaculate Heart of Mary!
- Parking lot adoration
- https://www.rosarycongressusa.org/virtual/ – you can join in or help start a future congress
- Is there a private chapel anywhere nearby where visits to Jesus are permissible?
- Due to a virus, if it has been temporarily suspended, firmly resolve to recommit to a weekly scheduled holy hour when adoration restarts at your chapel
- Join in the a virtual Rosary Congress with 7 days and nights of adoration and rosary on special events Online including daily Mass, special speaker, childrens’ holy hour: https://www.rosarycongressusa.org/virtual/
- If you are self-isolating at home, or unable to find a chapel that is open, Online Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration has a list of chapels broadcasting 24/7 adoration
- Streamed Masses, Virtual Adoration and Consecration at parishes
- Marian Movement of Priests telephone Rosary Cenacle: daily (7 days/week) at 6:45 p.m. EST all are invited to join in, including laity, clergy and religious. Dial (712) 775-7031 and enter the access code 749342 followed by the # sign. A cenacle includes the Rosary, a reading from the book which has an Imprimatur and the Act of Consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary
- Desire to be present with Jesus in person when adoration is restarted in churches
- Meet over the phone or with an online group to pray or make a Holy Hour
- Shut-ins can pray at home, find a quiet place, turn off all media, pray the rosary, use a spiritual reading book, set up at prayer altar or room at home, call others and pray or join Catholic prayers on TV or online
- Grow in hunger and thirst for the time when you can be physically present to Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament again
- “There is no such thing as media sacraments…. If one cannot attend Mass, watching a televised Mass can be a great spiritual help…”
- How to handwash Catholic style – pdf
- Pope encourages praying the Rosary with family in month of May
- Corona Comfort
Find Creative Ways to Administer the Sacraments While Keeping People Safe:
Solutions proposed and in place in some places have included the following where permissible:
- The administration of the sacraments is an essential service
- In Poland they have increased the number of Masses at parishes so that fewer people attend each Mass, allowing for social distancing – maybe assign Mass times in some way such as alphabetical order of last names i.e. 8am A-F, 10am G-N etc.
- Temporarily have people in cars in parking lot tune in to Mass on radio station and bring Holy Communion to them
- Think about and be grateful what we still have instead of what we don’t have
- Think about what we have achieved and will achieve in future for souls with God’s help, instead of what we can’t do now
- Think of what is possible and feasible
- Go to Confession and start receive Holy Communion in the state of grace
- Move exposition from small chapels to main body of church when necessary
- Drive-in adoration from parking lot – priest placed Monstrance in a window. Since you are there in person, this is not the same as watching on TV or the Internet
- If adoration in person is permissible in your area, practise social distancing
- Parking lot and outdoor Masses as mentioned above
- Drive by Holy Communion outdoors
- Expanded hours for Confession are being offered
- Confessions with social distancing, outdoor or drive-by Confessions, Confession while walking outside, Confessions through rectory windows
- Priest Hears Drive Through Confessions Amid Coronavirus
- The World Over with Raymond Arroyo, 36:50 – 43:13
- Public safety and administering the sacraments with respect for religious freedom
- Cardinal on creative ways to safely administer the sacraments on The World Over April 9, 2020
- Video of drive through confessions with social distancing
- Decontaminate and clean surfaces, have clean fresh air
- We glory in tribulations – living the faith when public worship is prohibited
- Adoration in a van, drive-through Confessions
Priests doing Eucharistic Processions, via Airplane and giving Benediction:
- Eucharistic Processions Flood Empty Streets Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
- Priest could process the Eucharist around church and through streets
- Agnostic converts on spot when pope blessed world amidst coronavirus pandemic
- Priest Does Over 20 Eucharistic Processions – Ends With Drive By Benediction” Pastor in Duluth, Ga recently filled the gap with Eucharistic Benediction on March 25. He led more than 20 Eucharistic blessings throughout the cities , processing for four hours. He concluded with drive-thru benedictions at the church.
- Priest gives Benediction from church rooftop
- Priests Lead Eucharistic Blessings Via Airplane Over Dioceses for Deliverance
- 100 Gallons of holy water blesses town from crop dusting plane
- Bishops Blesses community with hilltop Benediction
If you can’t go out to Mass, prepare for and follow Sunday and daily Mass online:
- Pray that the Lord will allow us the privilege of receiving Him again in the Eucharist soon
- Grow in hunger, thirst, and appreciation for the Eucharist
- “‘Following’ the celebration of Mass through the media, theologically speaking, is not ‘participating.’ There is no such thing as media sacraments. Mass on television cannot replace the sacrament of the Eucharist. If one cannot attend Mass, watching a televised Mass can be a great spiritual help, but the viewer doesn’t participate in the sacrament.” https://aleteia.org/2020/03/26/why-the-popes-blessing-on-march-27-will-be-absolutely-unique/
- EWTN – Eternal Word Television Network – see if you can find EWTN on your local cable/satellite provider or click here to find their radio schedule
- Be grateful for Gift of Televised Mass Online on EWTN – National Catholic Register
- Watch and easily access live or recorded Mass through EWTN’s Youtube channel
- EWTN broadcasts daily Mass live at 8 a.m., encore at 12 noon and 7 p.m. EDT Time
- Watch on cable TV, online or tune in via the radio, SIRIUS/XM, or listen online
- Read the daily Mass readings EWTN Daily Mass and Readings
- Extraordinary Form of the Mass (Traditional Latin Mass) readings are here
- Links to live stream Latin Masses: High Mass; St. John Cantius Church – available on Youtube, Sunday: 7:30 a.m. (low Mass) and 12:30 p.m. (high Mass); Institute of Christ the King (main site) – not on Youtube, Sunday: 8 a.m. (low Mass), Traditional Benedictines, Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter, St. Anne’s Hamilton on Facebook and Youtube with Fr. Jeff Oehring Sunday: 10:00 a.m.; Institute of Christ the King (Ireland) – available on Youtube Sunday: 10:30 a.m., Facebook videos
- Operation Storm Heaven Livestream Mass & Rosary on 1st of the month
- Vatican Media YouTube channel
- Watch Livestreaming Masses in the Diocese of Calgary
- Individual dioceses, parishes and priests are posting Masses and adoration online
- “A meditation by Msgr. Frederick Dolan to help guide and anchor our thoughts and prayers, remind us of our core identity, and grow spiritually during the stressful and uncertain times of the COVID-19 pandemic”.
- Worldwide Pentecost Novena for asking God for a Sacerdotal Pentecost
- Novena to the Holy Spirit
Make Spiritual Communions:
- Spiritual Communions are a way to be united with Christ when we can’t physically receive the Body and Blood of Christ in the Eucharist and can be made anywhere
- St. Padre Pio recommended making them throughout the day
- Make an Act of Perfect Contrition if you need Confession and are shut-in with the intention of going to Confession as soon as it becomes possible again
- There is no set formula: desire to be united with Christ; acknowledge your sins and ask for forgiveness; ask for and receive Christ in your soul praying an act of Spiritual Communion; and then offer thanksgiving
- Can’t receive the Eucharist? Here’s how to make a spiritual communion
- If You Can’t Receive Communion, Make a Spiritual Communion
- Rite of Holy Communion in time of pandemic
- Prayer for making a Spiritual Communion
Grow Spiritually through Consecration, Prayer and Practising Virtue:
- Act of Consecration of the Human Race to the Sacred Heart of Jesus
- As a family and individually pray the daily Rosary, the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, Prayers to St. Michael, Novenas against Coronavirus
- Priests are obligated to pray daily, religious pray and the Church encourages laity to pray the Liturgy of the Hours also known as the Divine Office and called the Prayer of the Church, available in printed book or other forms
- Universalis is a free online Liturgy of the Hours resource
- ibreviary is an app and website providing daily prayers for the Liturgy of the Hours
- You tube has videos on How to Pray the Liturgy of the Hours
- Here is a Traditional Latin-English Divine Office Breviary or iPhone/iPod App
- Stations of the Cross
- Adorer Formation
- Read orthodox Catholic books and free Catholic e-books in the public domain – contact us for the password
- Our Lady help of Christians
- Spirit Daily
- Make a daily examination of conscience and make a good confession
- Practise heroic virtue – be courageous and decide for holiness
- Fasting and mortification: “Pray much and make sacrifices for sinners, for many souls go to hell because there is no one to make sacrifices and to pray for them.” – Our Lady of Fatima
- Wear the miraculous medal, Brown Scapular, and St. Benedict medal
- Radio Maria – Catholic radio
- Christ the Miracle Worker in the Eucharist – Marian Catechist Apostolate
- A Spiritual Toolkit for Uncertain Times – St. Josemaria Institute
- Days of Recollection St. Josemaria Institute
- Audio Retreats St. Josemaria Institute
- Legion of Mary
Strive to Obtain Indulgences:
- See above Youtube video with Fr. Barry Braum with Q&A about the indulgences available during this time; followed by a half hour meditation at the end of the video on the Gospel for Sunday Mass, March 29, 2020 also by Fr. Barry in order to obtain a plenary indulgence
- We can obtain Indulgences and graces in lockdown: https://youtu.be/_JpE527VbFI
- Decree of the Apostolic Penitentiary on the granting of special Indulgences to the faithful in the current pandemic 20.03.2020
- Note from the Apostolic Penitentiary on the Sacrament of Reconciliation in the current pandemic, 20.03.2020
- Holy See indulgence for coronavirus patients and Catholics who pray for them
- Pope gave special Urbi et Orbi blessing amid coronavirus – this article states: This “Plenary Indulgence is only applicable if watched live”
- During times of pandemic, the Vatican has determined that the 2nd and 3rd of the conditions to obtain the Plenary Indulgence can be fulfilled “when it becomes again possible ” – Why the pope’s urbi & orbi blessing is unique
- Friday March 27, 2020 at 6pm Rome time, 1pm EDT, the Holy Father led prayers and Adoration in an empty St. Peter’s Square and will give an extraordinary urbi et orbi blessing, normally reserved for Christmas and Easter. All who participate via digital media can try to obtain a plenary indulgence. https://www.vaticannews.va
- Make reparation for idolatry, other sins and sacrileges causing chastisements
- Catholic historian: Our Lady of Fatima’s connection to the coronavirus outbreak
- Priest calls for spiritual adoption of victims dying alone from coronavirus
- The Roman Ritual for Exorcism of salt and water
- Listen to sacred music and the Church’s treasure – Gregorian Chant
- Catechesis of the Good Shepherd
“In the end, my Immaculate Heart will triumph.” – Our Lady of Fatima
St. Joseph, adorer of Jesus and patron of a happy death, ora pro nobis!
Saint Rocco, protector against the plague and contagious diseases, pray for us!
Look at the beating heart of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. This is from Poznan, Poland.
Sacred Heart of Jesus I place all my trust in you.#HolyHour #SaturdayMotivation #Catholic #CatholicTwitter #RealPresence #Repent #BeNotAfraid #JesusChrist #PrayForTheWorld #Christianity pic.twitter.com/OXGb00Hw7i
— Holy Hour (@HolyAdoration) April 4, 2020
You must be logged in to post a comment.